Friday, April 3, 2009

Who Knew?

I'm in preparation mode for the Masters next week/weekend.

If your house is anything like mine, you get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside the first time you hear CBS promo the Masters...and that music. The Masters is how I know its spring - and I get can get excited for all things that spring brings (like warmer weather!)

In our house, pretty much everything comes to a roaring halt for the Masters. We watch nothing but golf for a week straight. Replays of the day...replays of prior years...just the Golf Channel...it's a little slice of golfers' heaven!

It's too early for me to find out what Trevor Immelman will be serving for his Champions' Dinner for me to make my full preparations for our annual Champions' Dinner. But that doesn't mean that I'm not starting to worry that I won't be able to find certain ingredients...or what I need to do to make an appropriate substitution.

But my search for the 2009 Champions' Dinner menu lead me to this discovery: There are lyrics to the music we hear on CBS!

I have overlooked this is the past of my quest for knowledge of all things related to the Masters. (Wonder if Joe Sengelwalt is aware of this???)

Here is what the Masters website says:

16.Q. What is the name of the music that CBS uses during Masters Tournament coverage?
A. Dave Loggins wrote the original score for CBS's coverage of the Masters in 1981. It was re-released by Leeds Music/Patchwork Music ASCAP in 1996 by Don Cherry.

The song is called, "Augusta" -- go figure.

Who is Dave Loggins? (Not to be confused with Kenny Loggins...) You're likely familiar with Dave Loggins for "Please Come to Boston."

AND, here are the lyrics:

"Augusta"
by Dave Loggins


Well, it's springtime in the valley on Magnolia Lane
It's the Augusta National and the master of the game
Who'll wear that green coat on Sunday afternoon?
Who'll walk the 18th fairway singing this tune?
Augusta, your dogwoods and pines
They play on my mind like a song
Augusta, it's you that I love
And it's you that I'll miss when I'm gone.
It's Watson, Byron Nelson, Demaret, Player and Snead
It's Amen Corner and it's Hogan's perfect swing
It's Sarazen's double eagle at the 15 in '35
And the spirit of Clifford Roberts that keeps it alive
Augusta, your dogwoods and pines
They play on my mind like a song
Augusta, it's you that I love
And it's you that I miss when I'm gone.
It's the legions of Arnie's Army and the Golden Bear's throngs
And the wooden-shafted legend of Bobby Jones.


Click here to listen to the theme music.

Now...back to focusing on the Champions Dinner because who knows what a South African will serve! (Just wish Masters Week didn't coincide with Easter...that's a bummer!)

No comments: